We use our makeup brushes and blending sponges nearly every day in our beauty routines to ensure a flawless finish, but without regular washing, a build-up of bacteria, oils and cosmetic products could eventually cause break-outs and other skin problems. Cleaning your makeup tools regularly could extend their life and even help to keep your skin healthy.
How should I clean makeup brushes and sponges?
- Run your brush or sponge under warm water to clean off any beauty product, being careful not to get water into the roots of the bristles as this could loosen the glue.
- Put a few drops of washing up liquid or gentle unscented soap into the palm of your hand.
- Rub the bristles or sponge in a circular motion until lathered, then gently massage into the brush or sponge.
- Rinse through with warm running water, and thoroughly ring out excess water. Gently reshape it while wet.
- Thoroughly dry all brushes and sponges before putting them away or using them again to prevent mould.
How often should I clean makeup brushes and sponges?
Experts recommend washing makeup brushes at least once a week to keep it clean and hygienic.
How often should I replace makeup brushes and sponges?
Makeup blending sponges should be replaced more often than brushes as they can absorb and retain bacteria and makeup more than brushes – replace them every 1-3 months, depending how heavily they are used. Makeup brushes can last around a year if they are kept clean.